Thursday, January 7, 2016

Speaking Club Week 4

Jeon Heon-Kyun/European Pressphoto Agency
In week 4 of the speaking club, the students did two different tasks both of which included photos or pictures.

The first task was inspired by The New York Times' Learning Network. As part of a section called "What's going on in these pictures?", they publish a Times photo every Monday without a caption, headline or other information about its origins. Then, readers join the conversation by commenting on what they see and why. A live discussion is offered that day from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern. On Friday mornings, they reveal at the bottom of each post more information about the photo.

I thought I could do something similar for the speaking club, so I chose some of the photos I thought would be interesting for my students and printed them out. I gave each student a different photo and asked them to think about what might be happening in it in a few minutes. When the students were done thinking about the photos, each student commented on the photo they were assigned. While s/he was commenting, I showed the related photo on the projector screen for everyone to see. After they finished commenting on their own photo, I also asked the other students if they had anything to add, and I told them what actually happened before we moved on to the next photo.

You can download the PPT I used here, or you can use different photos. I added the link to each photo under the notes section of each slide so that you can find out the real story.

The second task of this week involved some drawing. For this activity, I paired up the students and had one of the two students face the projector screen while the other one faced the opposite direction. I projected some fairly easy drawings and asked the student facing the projector screen to describe the picture to his/her partner in as much detail as possible. The other student, who couldn't see the picture at all, tried to draw the picture on a piece of paper according to her/his partner's description. After they finished drawing, they really wanted to see the original picture and the other pairs' pictures. They seemed to have a lot of fun doing this task.