Monday, February 29, 2016

Speaking Club Week 6

With the start of the new semester, we picked up where we left off. Since my students have moved to a higher level of proficiency, I will try to include more challenging tasks including discussions and academic presentations as part of the speaking club.


The first task of this week was watching a short movie "The Present" followed by some discussion.

Before I let the learners watch the movie, I asked them the following question: "What adjectives are generally used to describe teenagers?" (It is really interesting to ask this question to a group of teenagers!) I also encouraged them to explain why.

After this short discussion, I told them that we were going to watch a short movie and asked them to think of adjectives to describe the boy's behavior. I played the video until 02:41 and stopped it. I asked them if the adjectives they told me earlier were true about the boy. I also had a few people summarise what happened in the movie so far.

Then, I asked them to guess the end of the movie and share their ideas. Some of them made really interesting guesses. After everyone shared their ideas, we watched the rest of the movie and I encouraged them to comment on how different it was from their guesses.  (You can do this part and the following one in small groups if you have a large class.)

Finally, we had another discussion on the following questions:
  • Was the ending surprising? 
  • How does the film make you feel? 
  • Has your opinion of the boy’s character changed?
  • Does the film have a message?
The second task was a discussion task on another topic: "Designer Babies". We started with this handout which includes some warm-up questions, a reading text and some comprehension questions about the text. (You might want to go over the vocabulary if you feel the need.) After they read the text and answered the true/false questions, I asked them to tell me whether they agreed with the sentences in the last part of the handout or not. 

The next thing we did was discuss some hypothetical situations each of which presented certain reasons why people want to choose the sex of their baby. I asked the students to work in pairs and decide if those people should be given the right to choose the sex of their baby or not and elaborate on their decisions.